Dummies Guide for up2date -> yum?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Oct 5 16:20:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

> Can anyone point me to an "idiot's guide" for going from up2date to yum?

Other folks have pointed you to the general (mostly excellent)
documentation, but you asked for specifics, so...

> up2date --dry-run foobar

I don't believe yum has an equivalent behavior to this.  I think the
closest would be 'yum deplist foobar'

> up2date -u

yum -y --exclude='kernel*' update

Yum doesn't exclude the kernel and modules from updates like up2date.
If you really want this behavior, you can run the command above.  You
could also try adding:

exclude=kernel*

to the "[main]" section in your /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/rhnplugin.conf
file; I'm not sure if that would work or not, but I'd guess it would.

> up2date -uf

yum -y update

Much easier when you don't want to exclude anything. :)

Good luck!

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University