Multi-core CPUs - kernel vs kernel-smp

Andrew Bacchi bacchi at rpi.edu
Fri Oct 12 13:22:25 UTC 2007

My answer yesterday was to use the kernel-smp on multiple CPUs and
multicore single CPUs.  If you're using either of these you'll need the
kernel-smp.  In the case of a single, non multicore CPU, use the
"kernel" kernel.

What hardware are you considering for your web servers?  I have many
Dell and IBM servers, all with multi Xeon processors.  I'd think for a
web server that has a fair amount of traffic, you'd want at lease two
Dual-Core processors of > 2 Gh, and lots of RAM.

--
veritatis simplex oratio est
		-Seneca

Andrew Bacchi