RHEL4 and HP Proliant server

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Tue Oct 23 21:45:30 UTC 2007

I can't say for sure, but I don't think you can dynamically build any
hardware raid stuff through default build process, HP or otherwise.  I'm
not sure about other RAID controllers, but it seems like HP decided not
to pass bare hard drives through the controller, preferring to force you
to set up RAID devices instead.  To some extend this makes sense, but it
can be annoying if you're not familiar with it.

To set up the logical drives, you should be able to power on the system
and, at some point, it will be initializing the SmartArray controller.
I forget exactly at what point you would need to hit F8 to get into the
configuration utility though.  Once in the utility you just need to
create a logical drive.

If you have the time, inclination, etc, you could add HP's array tools
to the boot media and then use them in a %pre script via kickstart to
build a logical disk automatically(hmm..something to think about more)
but then you have to worry about manipulating the boot media and the
ramdisk, etc.  It ends up being potentially very complicated especially
if you are using multiple types of hardware with different types of RAID
controllers.  It also might be too much work if there are only a few
machines.

Here, we manually set up the logical drives just because we decided that
it was too much work for not enough gain to figure out how to do it
automatically.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman at fmr.com