Subsys locked error!

debu debajit_kataki at rediffmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:28:08 UTC 2007

Well,

Don't panic!!

This particular error is related with method used by many programs to make sure only one copy is running. It's quite simple. The program refuses to run if a special file (called 'lock file') exists. The file is created by a program when it starts and should be removed when it exits. Sometimes, when there's a crash or reset it's not deleted and you get such errors..

The solution is to remove the file manually. Where is it? Look into /var/lock. Directly inside (or in subsys/ directory) there should be a file named 'httpd' or 'apache'./nfs/ vsftpd  Remove it. Try to run it again, it should start..

YEah! you are right, it does not happen usually due to some config changes, may be some crash or reset in service. just find it, why it is happening, if it is happening quite often.!

~ Regards
Debajit Kataki