Xen and the art of Database performance

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli-it.com
Fri Oct 26 16:43:10 UTC 2007

--- "McDougall, Marshall (FSH)"
<Marshall.McDougall at gov.mb.ca> wrote:

> [...]
Marshall,

It takes approximately 10 minutes to install the Linux
based XenServer into your physical server on the bare
metal.  You then need to install the administration
console into another machine from where you will be
able to install, configure, and/or migrate live VMs as
your storage needs change.

Whereas XenSource XenServer 3.2 products were for
32-bit architecture, XenServer 4.0 has been updated to
64-bit.

The installation of your RHEL 2.1 is done as you did
under ESX, and the hardware requirements are similar,
i.e., both need hardware virtualization support.  The
latter is found in hardware with Intel processors
shipped since the end of 2005 and hardware with AMD
equivalents that shipped since August 2006.

For a trial download of XenEnterprise (and/or a no
cost XenExpress download with VM guest support memory
allocation of up to 4GB): <
http://www.citrixxenserver.com/Pages/Download.aspx >

Documentation: <
http://docs.xensource.com/XenServer/4.0.1/ >

Knowledge base: < http://kb.xensource.com/kbindex.jspa

Support forums: <
http://forums.xensource.com/index.jspa >

You may also be interested in a feature similar to
Fedora 7, CentOS 5, and RHEL 5 VM manager:

"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and SUSE Enterprise Linux
10 may be installed directly from vendor network
repositories using the vendor-provided Xen kernels,
and thus no longer require hardware-assisted
virtualization during the installation process."

(Please see the release notes <
http://docs.xensource.com/XenServer/4.0.1/releasenotes/releasenotes.html
 >)

Best regards.