How to upgrade the kernel

Geofrey Rainey Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz
Mon Oct 29 20:30:13 UTC 2007

Regarding actual kernel recompilation, if you extract the
"kernel".tar.gz file and
Change directories into the root directory of the archive, you will see
either a
README, or INSTALL file in there, open this and after you've read a few
pages you
will find the actual recompile steps.

This is a very good document and the document I always refer to in times
of need.

It is worth noting that as another has stated, you should yum install a
new genuine
Redhat kernel, unless you have an explicit need for a generic kernel (I
have had
Such a need in the past when I had driver issues with a Redhat kernel).

Regards,
Geofrey.