How to upgrade the kernel

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Tue Oct 30 01:06:56 UTC 2007

Dave Martini 1 wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
> Do you usually upgrade the full source of the latest kernel?
> When is it ok to just use the patch kernel upgrade?
> For instance in my case I'm currently at 2.6.18 and am going
> to 2.6.23. The patch version of the kernel would not get me all
> of the new kernel's features correct?
> Dave.

If you are installing a kernel from source then you will find there are
a lot of differences between a 'plain vanilla downloaded kernel from
kernel.org' and the redhat version.

As well as that, it is uncommon to have the redhat sources, and even if
you did, you will find a path will have a 99% chance of failing -
especially when trying to get from version .18 to .23

You really need to know what you are doing when doing a kernel upgrade
as it can be quite easy to brick your box accidentally and have to go
through some convoluted recovery process or be faced with a re-install -
if you have the time it is thoroughly recommended as a learning process,
but you have been warned.

Of interest, why are you trying to do this ? there are quite a large
number of fixes and patches that are redhat specific that have been
applied and are maintained with the 'Redhat released' kernels - is there
a specific feature that you are after that is NOT part of the redhat
kernel ?

--
Steve