"Permission denied" Problem

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Wed Oct 3 15:58:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 06:15:17PM +0530, Ravi Shanmugam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a query on accessing a root file as a non-root user. The problem
> is described as follows.
>
> I wanted to execute the following command
>
> cat /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub > /abiscard/local/root/.ssh/authorized_id

think about what you are asking. If a non root user could grab roots
public keys what would be the security risks? I'm not sure but since
the pub keys live in the same directory as the private keys, they will
share the same access protections from the containing directory, which
should be ... rwx...... ie, only root (the owner can read the
contents). You really don't want it any other way.

since, what you really just want is the public key, you can become
root, copy the public key someplace else, like maybe /var/spool/root
?? that say group wheel can read. Then, your backup user (which may be
part of group wheel) could read the key and put it where it can use
it.