amanda exclusions

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 09:43:45 UTC 2007

I'm using amanda to back up our Linux servers, and want to exclude some
directories from a specific folder on a backup client.

In my disklist on the backup server, I've got an entry such as:
backupclientname    /usr/local/clients    comp-tar

And on the backup client I have a folder such as:
/usr/local/clients/client1

In my amanda.conf I specify an exclude file in the dumptype:
define dumptype comp-tar {
        program "GNUTAR"
        compress fast
        index yes
        record yes
        exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/exclude/exclude-list"
}

Now I want to exclude the directory /usr/local/clients/client1/archive.

Will this work, when defined in
/usr/local/etc/amanda/exclude/exclude-list on the backup client?:
./client1/archive

I believe that the above will take /usr/local/clients (from the
disklist) and append /client1/archive (from the exclude file), to result
in /usr/local/clients/client1/archive to be excluded, but would
appreciate if anyone can confirm this for me.

Thanks very much.