ntp .RSTR. error

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Tue Oct 9 14:56:40 UTC 2007

I have just set up all of my Redhat Linux machines to use ntp time
synchronisation off a couple of servers. All but two of the machines have
worked fine. The two machines that do not work are the only ones running
64-bit RHEL4 all the others are 32bit so there must be something different
on these machines. The output i get from the ntpq -p command is below:

    remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter

 Server 1       Server 2     4 u    4   16  377   76.417   -3.881   8.292
 Server 2       .RSTR.         u    -   16    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00

The .RSTR. is stopping the communication, which stops the synchronisation.

Has anyone seen this before, if so what does it mean and what can i do to
rectify the issue.

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities