Creating RPMS from source without Makefile

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Mon Oct 15 13:35:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

For several applications/tools I'd like to create an RPM to make
maintenance easier.  However some of these come without a Makefile
(usually just untar in the correct directory).  For others I'd like to
add some additional (configuration) files and such.

According to the maximum rpm book it is recommended to keep patches and
such separate from the original sources (pristine sources).  But so far
I've been unable to find an explanation on how exactly to set this up.
I've download the httpd source rpm and noticed that it contains some
additional files in the SOURCES directory which have been added as
additional "SourceX" lines in the spec file.  These are installed by
additional "install" commands in the spec file.

Is this the recommended approach?  Is there a way to group these files
somehow?  After installing the httpd source rpm the SOURCE dir was
filled with files with no way to determin which were related to the
httpd package wand which not.

Regards

Bram

--
Bram Mertens
Web application Administrator / Red Hat Certified Technician

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe N.V.
Tel.: +32 3 860 12 61