Desperate - I am having serious problems setting up printers.

Margaret Doll margaret_doll at brown.edu
Thu Oct 18 21:20:17 UTC 2007

I have been using printtool to set up printers on our RH printserver
to share out
to the Macs, Windows and other unix computers on our network.  About
a month
ago printtool stopped working.  I don't know what to use next.

Using system-config-printer, I
added gc-hp041, HP LaserJet 4050

I applied the changes and exited the gui.
I then issued
service cups restart

cd /etc/cups
[root at SERVER cups]# grep 041 cupsd.conf
[root at SERVER cups]# grep 041 /etc/printcap
[root at SERVER cups]# grep 041 printers.conf
[root at SERVER cups]# uname -r
2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp
[root at SERVER cups]# more /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
[root at SERVER cups] rpm -qf /usr/sbin/system-config-printer
system-config-printer-0.6.116.10-1

Looking at URL  http://localhost:631/printers, the gc-hp041
printer is not listed.

gc-hp041  does appear through the program setup.

My main concern is that the printer does not show up as a
shared printers to the Windows computers on my network.  This
is a major problem.

smbclient -L SERVER -N
         ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (SERVER - Chemistry
Samba Server)
         gc-hp106        Printer   Created by redhat-config-printer
0.6.x
         gc-hp201        Printer   Created by redhat-config-printer
0.6.x

How do I fix the problem? Desperate.
printtool, a link to system-config-printer, was working fine until
about a month ago.