RHEL4 and HP Proliant server

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Tue Oct 23 19:05:47 UTC 2007

What generation of DL380?  Which RHEL4 update?  We have DL380s here (G2,
G3, G4) and we can build off the boot CD without any problems.

Also, you need to make sure that you've created a logical drive on the
hardware raid.  If there are no logical drives on the hardware raid then
there are 'technically' no hard drives.  If you want to use LVM, then
you would have to create each hard drive as it's own logical drive,
though I'm not sure why you want to do that.

As Jeremy mentioned, it's definitely a cpqarray or cciss driver that
you're going to end up using, but that should be on the CDs already.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman at fmr.com

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Gaddis, Jeremy L.
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:57 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: RHEL4 and HP Proliant server

On 10/23/07, m.roth2006 at rcn.com <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
> Ok, I've got a guy here - he's really a network guy, and he's trying
to put RHEL4 on a Proliant server, a DL380, I believe. It's *all*
hardware RAID, and the std. RHEL4 CDs can't id the h/d. He's tried d/l a
package from HP, but that unzips to a file.dd, which I'm thinking needs
to be dd'd to something....

> Anyone have any ideas where he needs to go?

You'll most likely need either the cpqarray or cciss drivers.  I have
a pair of DL580's that are similar in hardware and that's the modules
needed for RHEL4 to see the (hardware RAID) volumes.

The file.dd is probably a floppy disk image, which can be written to a
floppy with "dd if=file.dd of=/dev/fd0".  The drivers on that floppy
can then be loaded during the installation process.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis
http://www.jeremygaddis.com/