How to create encrypted password via command line

Anne Moore diabeticithink at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 16:01:42 UTC 2007

Hi Mark

Yes, it's for Openldap. Unfortunately, slappasswd is not installed on any of
our Red Hat boxes (60 of them). It's only installed on the one OpenLdap box.

I wanted them to be able to log into any of the boxes, run the create new
password commands, and then copy the encrypted output and send to the
administrator so he can change their passwords on Openldap without knowing
what their password actually is.

Is there a way that you know of that they can copy and past in their own
encrypted password, bypassing having to send them to the administrator to do
it?

Thanks for the help.

Anne