Linux, RH, kickstart and PXE

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Sep 26 02:42:37 UTC 2007

Harry,

Harry Hoffman wrote:

> No worries, I'm using 4, and 5 and Fedora 7 with cobbler it all works well.
>
> Some things don't work with 4 but that's b/c the kickstart options only
> work with 5 and above (i.e. the repo commands).
>
> Anyway, check out:
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/UserDocs
>
> b/c once you start with kickstart you're gonna want to template stuff
> and there's alot already answered at the above link.

I believe he wants to template. He was saying he doesn't want to actually build
a box, then burn that....

> Trust me... I feel your pain. From SunOS 2.4 -> Solaris9 and hoping to
> never go back (though all of my "hip" friends tell me solaris 10 finally
> got it right)

A dozen years ago, I really *liked* Solaris (and, of course, Sun 3). But Linux
has *so* much added functionality (and key bindings, let's not forget that....)
I had to build a PHP 4 environment, and had some trouble, on Solaris 10. *THEN*
I find production is 8, and I went through hell to build, wound up getting a
lot of stuff from the Sun freeware site....

My boss and I are seriously looking forward to replacing the Sun boxes with Linux.

> Good luck.

We'll need it.

	mark