perl irritations

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri Sep 7 01:46:20 UTC 2007

Steve Phillips wrote:
> m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>>> My guess is that the -devel package split goes back as far as your
>>> version.
>>
>> The problem is that this is my firewall/router. I do NOT WANT a gcc on
>> it. Am I going to need to put it on, and take it off, every time I
>> need an update from CPAN? And to remove all *-devel rpms?
>
> erm, then why are you trying to use a tool that relies on compilers and
> development tools being present ?
>
> Would it not be better to put CPAN on a dev box and then use that to
> compile the required perl modules, make them into packages and
> distribute the binaries to the firewall instead ?

Um, the firewall/router's running RH 9 - specifically, since I want the 2.4
kernel, as it's running on old hardware, and I don't *want* what they did for
2.6, with scheduling improvements specific to multiple CPU's/cores, and which I
read a couple of years ago disimproved performance on single CPU systems. All
my other systems are significantly newer.

	mark