Dynamic DNS and heresy

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Tue Sep 11 01:15:29 UTC 2007

> 	My hostname is through dnsalias.com (now DynDNS).  I would want
> to keep the same e-mail, but since the hostname is hosted by a 3rd party
> service, I cannot transfer the domain name to the webhosting service.
> Or maybe I can?  I've mucked around on the dnsalias site, and I see some
> options, but I'm not sure how to deal with it.
>
> 	Basically, I want e-mail that might have been sent to
> whoever at tomii.dnsalias.com to go to a different server's sendmail (or
> whatever they're using) setup...
>
> 	Any clues?

Can you make a static MX record for your hostname and point it to the web
hosting company's mail servers?  Once that is done, tell them to receive
mail for tomii.dnsalias.com and tell them what accounts you need created.
I would think that you could continue to have the same dynamic name for
your home file server, but if the e-mail is the most important, get a new
dyndns name for home, and have the web hosting company handle the old one.

Barry