How to create encrypted password via command line

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Sep 12 18:39:15 UTC 2007

Hey, Anne,

>Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:01:42 -0400
>From: "Anne Moore" <diabeticithink at yahoo.com>
>
>Yes, it's for Openldap. Unfortunately, slappasswd is not installed on any of
>our Red Hat boxes (60 of them). It's only installed on the one OpenLdap box.
>
>I wanted them to be able to log into any of the boxes, run the create new
>password commands, and then copy the encrypted output and send to the
>administrator so he can change their passwords on Openldap without knowing
>what their password actually is.
>
>Is there a way that you know of that they can copy and past in their own
>encrypted password, bypassing having to send them to the administrator to do
>it?

I like that solution, but the implementation.... Other than installing slappasswd on all your servers, the easiest way that comes to mind is to put up a small https website on the openLDAP server, let them log in, and have some cgi or php or whatever run slappasswd, and return the encrypted password. That shouldn't be too big a deal.

    mark