Backup Windows server to Linux server

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Wed Sep 12 22:02:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 11:35:15AM -0500, Steven Buehler wrote:
> I have a client that I do backups for.  They had a Snap server (linux) and I
> was using rsync to connect to it from a RedHat Linux server to run scripts
> and do the backups.  Now they are switching to a Windows server and still
> want me to do the backups.  I know that linux can be setup as a Samba server
> but was wondering if it can be done the other way around so that the linux
> server can connect to the Windows server and act as if the windows server is
> another drive.  Or is there a way to rsync into the windows server?

if you use smb mounts, you loose rsync optimizations. Just install
cygwin and continue to use rsync. There is plenty of google fodder on
cwrysnc and similar systems (unison may be something good too)

I've done a little documentation at

you might scan
http://wt.pp.asu.edu/z2/do/copp/infotech/techNotes/sysAdmin/rsynk1/
http://wt.pp.asu.edu/z2/do/copp/infotech/techNotes/sysAdmin/cygssh/
http://wt.pp.asu.edu/z2/do/copp/infotech/techNotes/sysAdmin/pullscript/

and see if any of it is usefull. I haven't updated these docs in a
while but they may get you started.