Re: Recent unexplained quota problems (happened again)

I'm running a RHEL v3 server, completely up to date...

I tried to edit a user's quota (as root) using the command
'/usr/sbin/edquota someuser' and I got the error:

edquota: Can't open quotafile /home/aquota.user: Read-only file system
No filesystems with quota detected.

Doing a listing of aquota.user reports:

[root server log]# ll /home/aquota.user
-rw------- 1 root root 15360 Sep 9 04:22 /home/aquota.user

/etc/fstab has:
LABEL=/home            /home          ext3    defaults,usrquota 1 2

A listing of /home shows:
drwxr-xr-x  133 root     root         4096 Sep  7 12:49 home

If I try to 'touch test' in /home I get:
[root server home]# touch test
touch: creating `test': Read-only file system

I rebooted the server and everything seems to be okay. I'm a little concerned about this though because I can't explain it.

Any ideas?
Mertens, Bram wrote:

You won't be able to check now but should you encounter this again,
please have a look at the ouput from mount, it should read (rw) for
whichever partition your /home is on.  If it reads ro then somehow your
home partition is being remounted ro.

It happened again. The filesystem is read-only. The logwatch log doesn't report anything unusual. The Cron weekly log shows:

/etc/cron.weekly/quotacheck.cron:
quotacheck: Cannot remount filesystem /home read-write. cannot write new quota files.
quotaon: using /home/aquota.user on /dev/hda3 [/home]: Read-only file system

The output from mount for /home shows:
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw,usrquota)

Ryan