Recent unexplained quota problems (happened again)

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Mon Sep 17 13:54:57 UTC 2007

>> I'm running a RHEL v3 server, completely up to date...
>>
>> I tried to edit a user's quota (as root) using the command
>> '/usr/sbin/edquota someuser' and I got the error:
>>
>> edquota: Can't open quotafile /home/aquota.user: Read-only file system
>> No filesystems with quota detected.
>>
>> Doing a listing of aquota.user reports:
>>
>> [root at server log]# ll /home/aquota.user
>> -rw-------    1 root     root        15360 Sep  9 04:22
>> /home/aquota.user
>>
>> /etc/fstab has:
>> LABEL=/home            /home          ext3    defaults,usrquota 1 2
>>
>> A listing of /home shows:
>> drwxr-xr-x  133 root     root         4096 Sep  7 12:49 home
>>
>> If I try to 'touch test' in /home I get:
>> [root at server home]# touch test
>> touch: creating `test': Read-only file system
>>
>> I rebooted the server and everything seems to be okay.  I'm a little
>> concerned about this though because I can't explain it.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>Mertens, Bram wrote:
>
> You won't be able to check now but should you encounter this again,
> please have a look at the ouput from mount, it should read (rw) for
> whichever partition your /home is on.  If it reads ro then somehow your
> home partition is being remounted ro.

It happened again.  The filesystem is read-only.  The logwatch log
doesn't report anything unusual.  The Cron weekly log shows:

/etc/cron.weekly/quotacheck.cron:
quotacheck: Cannot remount filesystem /home read-write. cannot write new
quota files.
quotaon: using /home/aquota.user on /dev/hda3 [/home]: Read-only file system

The output from mount for /home shows:
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw,usrquota)

Ryan