How to constrain the install through kickstart to one drive

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Tue Sep 18 18:45:00 UTC 2007

If you always know that the drive you want to install on is /dev/sda,
--ondisk will do the trick.  The tricky part comes if different machines
have their drives addressed in different ways (/dev/hda, /dev/sda, etc).
In those cases you can still use a single ks file be creative use of the
%pre section to determine the correct disk name to clear and partition.

I use a single ks file for each RHEL (one for RHEL3, one for RHEL4, etc)
regardless of whether I'm installing on a physical machine
(/dev/cciss/c0d0) or virtual machine (/dev/sda) by checking the loaded
modules (lsmod) in the %pre section and then changing the partition
table accordingly.  This also lets me address different drive sizes in
different ways.

On the other hand, the kickstart files become a bit more complicated and
the chance of errors in the kickstart file go up, but it is possible.
The use of multiple kickstart files also depends on the application
loadout of the systems you're installing on.  If all the systems get the
same package load, then one kickstart file is easy to maintain.  If
different servers get different loads, then it's much easier to manage
that with multiple kickstart files.

Maarten Broekman