How to constrain the install through kickstart to one drive

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Wed Sep 19 12:35:44 UTC 2007

Unfortunately, I'm at a loss.  The environment I'm in is all SCSI disks
on hardware raid controllers.  I would guess that libata is the ATA
driver.  Looking in /proc/partitions though I can see all the partitions
on the disks that the OS can see.

/proc # cat partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

 104     0   35565360 cciss/c0d0
 104     1     104391 cciss/c0d0p1
 104     2    2096482 cciss/c0d0p2
 104     3    5245222 cciss/c0d0p3
 104     4          1 cciss/c0d0p4
 104     5    5245191 cciss/c0d0p5
 104     6   20772013 cciss/c0d0p6
 104     7    2096451 cciss/c0d0p7
 104    16   35565360 cciss/c0d1

On my virtual systems, I can see the following:
# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name     rio rmerge rsect ruse wio wmerge wsect
wuse running use aveq

   8     0   17825792 sda 21808 13601 274314 65860 223847 214442 3515998
259910 0 90050 325770
   8     1     104391 sda1 58 630 1376 220 41 30 142 310 0 500 530
   8     2    2096482 sda2 24 114 312 20 0 0 0 0 0 20 20
   8     3    7221217 sda3 27 100 338 80 25 13 280 1310 0 950 1390
   8     4          1 sda4 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
   8     5    3148708 sda5 1818 6820 68426 18140 42791 31850 597496
60360 0 26230 78500
   8     6    3148708 sda6 19781 5569 202770 47340 180599 180332 2897160
194660 0 68550 242000
   8     7    2096451 sda7 40 99 434 50 391 2217 20920 3270 0 1530 3320

On the other hand, lsmod shows the cciss module on my physicals and
either the Buslogic or mptscsi driver on my virtuals.  That's what I use
to make my determination in the %pre section.

In thinking about this some more, /proc/partitions might be a better way
to determine which drive to partition and how since you are shown all
the drives and partitions that the OS can see (column 4) as well as
their block size (1K blocks) (column 3).

Maarten Broekman