Re: unable to create any directory that uses numbers as the directory name

More info ................

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
root server [~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5)

root server [~]# uname -a
Linux server.integrityserver.net 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT
2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
root server [~]#

How reproducible:
======================

root server [~]# mkdir 1
mkdir: cannot create directory `1': No such file or directory
root server [~]# mkdir 12
mkdir: cannot create directory `12': No such file or directory
root server [~]# mkdir 1a2
root server [~]#

Actual results:
======================
mkdir: cannot create directory `1': No such file or directory

Expected results:
======================
should be able to create a directory

Additional Info:
==================
root server [~]# ll $(which mkdir)
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 25060 Sep 19 15:46 /bin/mkdir*
root server [~]# rpm -qf $(which mkdir)
coreutils-5.2.1-31.6
root server [~]#
root server [~]# mount -a