home dir not found?

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon Apr 7 17:06:24 UTC 2008

Hi, Paula,

>Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:27:21 -0700
>From: "Paula J. Lindsay" <paula at scripps.edu>
>
>Hi everyone,
>I have a weird thing happening to a user that is using rhe 5 with nis
>and nfs and autofs.  When he firsts trys to log on, he gets the
>error "no home directory found."  Then when he tries again, he can log
>in without incident.  Has anyone ever seen this happen
>before?  I looked in the logs, but nothing is mentioned.  It
<snip>
I haven't seen this, but it sounds as though it's not automounting his home directory...unless - does he have an account on this box, but the home directory is mounted from another server? Is it possible that pam is looking in /etc/password the first time, and the second he gets nis, and then it mounts?

      mark