copy a bunch of rile, then delete from source

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:53:49 UTC 2008

On 10/04/2008, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at lubik.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Here is what I want to do:
>
> - Copy a number of files (using a wildcard, like logapplication*.tar.gz)
> from one server to another
> - Once done, I want to delete the files from the source server.
>
> The first step is easy to do... ssh keys, cronjob, and scp.  However, can
> I be sure that the file has been copied successfully?  I thought of
> comparing md5sums source/destination before deleting the source.
>
> Could rsync be of help?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ugo

for i in  logapplication*.tar.gz
do
  scp -p $i user at remote-host:
  if ((! $?))
  then
    rm $i
  else
    echo "copy of $I failed"
  fi
done

$? is the return status of the previous command.  If the scp is successful,
it will return 0.
0, somewhat contradictory, means "false" to an if-statement.  Hence, "if ((!
$?))" = "if not false" = "if copy successful", remove the source file.

Kind regards,

Herta

--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."