firefox woes?

Stephen Carville stephen.carville at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 04:46:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Paula J. Lindsay <paula at scripps.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>  I use mozilla firefox.  I am running RHE 5. I usually have several firefox
> sessions running on my main
>  machine. I noticed when I go to another machine, and log on using my
>  nis username and passwd, it says it can't open because a version is already
> running.  At this time, I
>  just use konqueror because I will be on the machine for just a short time.
> Now, I have a user who
>  doesn't like this feature.  I've googled and looked through my thunderbird
> perferences and can't see
>  anything to turn off or on.  Does anyone know my answer?  I hope I don't
> get flamed for asking
>  a firefox question on a red hat forum.
>  Many thanks in advance,
>  Paula

Is your home directory NFS mounted?  If so then the new firefox
process is being fooled by the one on your other machine.  This is
because the lock files are written to somewhere in $HOME/.mozilla/.

$ find .mozilla -name .parentlock

It is possible to move the profile to a local directory if you think
it is worth the effort:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

--
Stephen Carville