Logging server app?

Scott R. Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 18 22:10:41 UTC 2008

I am testing splunk as a logging server on a CentOS 5 box which is
accepting connections from client linux and Windows systems, the clients
using snare agent.

My goal is to have a relatively easy-to-configure web-based log viewer to
present events from all systems in one interface, letting me sort by
different methods, and is not _that_ difficult to set up.  If I want to
review the events of all systems in one file, then I should be able to
clink a link and see all events.  I should be able to sort by Windows vs
Linux, or time, or success/failure of object or logins, etc.

If splunk can do all this, it hasn't been obvious from my tests thus far
(using free download from their site).  What other linux-based logging
server apps are available, preferably for free, but if not, at least offer
free trials?

Thanks.

Scott