gdm hiding .Xdefaults with ctwm

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 24 09:29:44 UTC 2008

Hi guys,
I'm having some difficulty with xterm under ctwm or fvwm
not honouring the resources in .Xdefaults.

This only occurs when X is started by gdm; with gnome,
kde or xfce4 the xterm resources in .Xdefaults are honoured
but not when ctwm or fvwm sessions are selected.

The system is FC6.

The sessions files for ctwm and fvwm in  /usr/share/xsessions/
are:
ctwm.desktop ->
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=CTWM
Comment=ICCCM-compliant multiple virtual desktop window manager
Exec=ctwm

and fvwm.desktop ->
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=FVWM
Comment=ICCCM-compliant multiple virtual desktop window manager
Exec=fvwm
Terminal=False

[Window Manager]
SessionManaged=true

When I replace gdm with the standard X-windows display manager xdm
the problem disappears. But of course the choice of sessions
as managed by gdm also disappears. The change of display manager
is implemented with /etc/initscript ->

if [ $RUNLEVEL -eq  5 ]
then
  DISPLAYMANAGER=XDM
  export DISPLAYMANAGER
else
  DISPLAYMANAGER=
fi
eval exec "$4"

Does anyone know how to stop gdm hiding .Xdefaults from ctwm of fvwm.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated

Thanks
Malcolm Kay