shell script

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Apr 5 22:47:23 UTC 2008

On 05Apr2008 09:46, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
| Anil Saini wrote:
| > i need a shell script that can create multiple users....
| > i have already done it with newuser command..and worked fine
| > is thr any other way to create multiple user accouts and at the same it will
| > generate some random password...
|
| Generate a random password? And how will you know what it is to tell the user?

By recording it in a file and printing them on little slips of paper, then
erasing the file? Hand the printouts to each user when they show up?
Force them to change them.

| And how many users are you adding at once? I've never added more than one or
| two at a time, and my standard new user is set up with a password that is
| *required* to be changed at first login... and I give them all the same:
| changeme. <g>

This is a better approach indeed.

I used to make accounts without passwords (not blank, disabled) and get
the users to enter a password when they show up the first day.

However, this kind of thing doesn't work at places like universities
where 1000 new people show up at session start; then you do need to
give them all passwords.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Nope. First, you need to learn how to use vi, the editor from hell
(vi vi vi -- the number of the beast), ...
        - Dan Sorenson, DoD#1066, <z1dan at exnet.iastate.edu>