HD Controller and upgrade

Chris Caldwell caldwell at utm.edu
Mon Apr 7 19:11:02 UTC 2008

I have a Howard NX1400 server with a Supermicro mother board (X6DHR-TG).
On that mother board is an Adaptec AIC-8130 Marvell 88SS6041 SATA
controller that we use for RAID 1 mirror.  The OS is Redhat AS v4 32bit
x86.  We would like to upgrade the current Redhat, but am stuck in v4
with the Kernel locked at 2.6.9-22.ELsmp because the driver is not
supported.

Supermicro says buy a new HD controller if I want to upgrade, but they
do not know which.

How does a newbie figure out which  controller card to buy so that I can
get up to date?

Chris.

Drives are 80GB 7200RPM SATA-300 drives.