Hijacked email address.

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Thu Apr 17 17:31:49 UTC 2008

Alan a écrit :
>> Good morning (California), RH list members-
>>

>> Any suggestions on how to deal with those who take over one's reputable
>> email address to send spam??  This morning I have received an considerable
>> amount of returned emails that I never sent out but that have as return
>> path
>> the usual p***y cowards' signature <>  and some even my actual email
>> address.  And no, those did not originate from my account.
>
> There is NO way to prevent people from forging your name to the From: line
> on an e-mail message.

False.  SPF can help.  DomainKeys can help.  Some other mechanisms like
watermarking in MailScanner, and there is also something called EMEW in
BarricadeMX (http://www.fsl.com/barricademx.html).  There might be other
means, I only know those.

For SPF and DomainKeys, it depends on the proportion of mail servers
that check them.

For the 2 others, it assumes that all of your outgoing mail is going
through the MailScanner/BarricadeMX system(s)