Not able to Install RHEL 4 on Dell 620

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Tue Apr 22 12:13:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, varun wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I know it seems very stupid question...
>
> But really i am struggling to install RHEL 4 on my DELL D 620 Laptop
> It stuck on the partitioning part ...It never detects the hard disk..I
> installed Ubuntu on the same machine and it worked fine..Windows XP was the
> previous OS which i was using on the same laptop
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

By any chance .. when the installer is loading kernel modules for your
hard disk does it sit at ata_piix for an unusually long time?  If so, go
into the bios on your computer and change the mode of your ide controller
from ide to raid.  This will cause a different driver to load and work
successfully.

Barry