Question re IPP printing

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Tue Apr 22 22:10:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 11:12 +0100, John Dunn wrote:
> I am trying to configure a printer using IPP printing. I have an IPP
> enabled printer.
>
> When I use the Printer Configuration tool in RHEL 5 it asks for the
> hostname of the printer and the "printername"
>
> What should I set the "printername" value to?

Probably just leave it blank.  I think that's how I've set up all my
ipp-capable printers.  If you have a server with several printers
attached, that's when you'd need to distinguish them.  (But in that
case, it would probably be simpler to have the server publish them and
let the clients detect them automatically.)

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu