RHCE certification

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:24:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:38 AM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:

> Johan Booysen wrote:
> > My employer wants me to look into gaining the RHCE certification.
> <snip>
> Only if your employer is paying. Otherwise, well, we've had discussions
> here
> before, and it's not more important than actually knowing/learning the job
> on
> your own (books/co-workers/google HOWTOs/etc).
>
>        mark

MGRS are generally NOT technical.
MGRS use certification, training classes as a way to judge their work-force.

Certifications help MGRS within the business organization whether they are
looking for status (I've got all RHCEs on my staff), or quick approval (all
the engineers recommend), or avoiding nitpicking people (the RHCE all said
this is the way to go).

If you have certification, you help your MGR get her/his job accomplished!

Certs may mean nothing to a sysadmin but certs are very important to your
MGR.
Don't you want to help your MGR accomplish his task, show support for
her/him, etc.?

Certs are a game that sysadmin canNOT afford to skip.

On the plus side, certs will get you jobs and more money.
My Solaris sysadmin Certification brings in at least $10K more a year.  At
my site, I am the highest paid sysadmin because of my certs (a college
degree puts me in the senior category; the certs make me the biggest
earner).  The real UNIX guru, with 5-10 more years of experience and a much
larger skill set, dreams of making what I make.   (I recommended him for my
current position; my employer picked little, old, certified me.)

Skipping certs is a fool's game!

I paid for my own RHCT training--class, hotel, car, meals, and took a week
without pay.  Passed the RHCT test.  Put in on my company's website form.
Now I am recognized as certified.

If you need a cert, get it; if you have to pay for it, get it.  It is your
career not your MGR's or your employer's career.  Just like college, once
you get your bachelor's, you don't have to get it again and it is a
constatnt source of money.  (The $10K it cost me for college has provided
$100Ks for me.  Currently, it pays about $10K per year that similarily
skilled sysadmins without a backelor's don't get.)

Being penny wise and pound foolish is also a fool's game!

Fools give bad advice.