Installing tomcat5 on RHEL4

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 05:04:21 UTC 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 03:36:00 pm you wrote:
> Ben Kevan wrote:
> > It was running.. for some reason the tomcat 5 installation doesn't
> > include test servelets and the main pages (I come from a suse background,
> > and it does include it). I verified this by going into the webapps folder
> >
> > /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps
> >
> > Subsequently when I installed tomcat from source on my production box (I
> > was brining up a dev box to test getting PHP working on tomcat)
> > everything was included.. but this damn tomcat5 rpm from rhn was not..
> >
> > Have you experienced the same?
> >
> > Ben
>
> certain things i will never install via package (rpm/yum/pkgadd,
> etc.....) these include
> java, tomcat, apache, php, and perl
>
> tomcat rpm (ASAIK) is blank, with no wars, no console, and no mgmt,
>
> need to deploy those to see something

Yes, suse packages are not blank and I honestly expected the same from the
RHEL4 packages in the development channel. Not only was nothing included BUT
it also didn't have a seperate package in the dev channel for tomcat5-admin
or tomcat5-webapps .. what's up with that?

Thanks for running through things with me.. I know it was running, just really
didn't expect to go into webapps dir and find nothing (never had to do that
since when I installed via source all was there.. Oh we.. I just copied what
I had on my prod box (installed from source) to my test box..

Now to install php and check to see if I can get it to work with tomcat (not
something I really want to do, but a damn last second requirement..) have you
had experience with this and php 4.4.x?

Ben