cpu architecture

jerry.feldman at algorithmics.com jerry.feldman at algorithmics.com
Mon Aug 11 13:26:38 UTC 2008

Look at the flags. The lm flag means 64-bit for both the AMD and the
Intel chips. In addition, the model name will tell you the type of
processor as well as the CPU family.
Here is one for an Opteron and an Itanium. You'll see that in the x86_64
chips you will have the longmode flag (lm) where you won't in an
Itanium. From Software, 'uname -p' will give you the processor.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 16
model           : 2
model name      : Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2352
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 2100.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext
3dnow constant_tsc pni monitor cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 5256.88
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm stc [6] [7] [8]

processor  : 0
vendor     : GenuineIntel
arch       : IA-64
family     : Itanium 2
model      : 2
revision   : 2
archrev    : 0
features   : branchlong
cpu number : 0
cpu regs   : 4
cpu MHz    : 1600.017400
itc MHz    : 1600.017400
BogoMIPS   : 2390.75

--
Jerry Feldman <Jerry.Feldman at algorithmics.com>
Algorithmics (US), Inc

EDT
> [...]
> > model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7250  @ 2.00GHz
> > stepping    : 13
> > cpu MHz        : 2001.000
> > cache size    : 2048 KB
> > physical id    : 0
> > siblings    : 2
> > core id        : 0
> > cpu cores    : 2
> > fpu        : yes
> > fpu_exception    : yes
> > cpuid level    : 10
> > wp        : yes
> > flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca
> > cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
syscall
> nx lm
> > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx
est
> tm2
> > ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm ida
> > bogomips    : 3993.31
> > clflush size    : 64
> > cache_alignment    : 64
> > address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> > power management:
> >
> > processor    : 1
> > vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family    : 6
> > model        : 15
> > model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7250  @ 2.00GHz
> > stepping    : 13
> > cpu MHz        : 2001.000
> > cache size    : 2048 KB
> > physical id    : 0
> > siblings    : 2
> > core id        : 1
> > cpu cores    : 2
> > fpu        : yes
> > fpu_exception    : yes
> > cpuid level    : 10
> > wp        : yes
> > flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca
> > cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
syscall
> nx lm
> > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx
est
> tm2
> > ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm ida
> > bogomips    : 3989.79
> > clflush size    : 64
> > cache_alignment    : 64
> > address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> > power management:
> > *******************
> > And by seeing lm flags how i will get cpu arch ?
> > Please explane it...
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Vivek Mangal
> <vivek.mangal9685 at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All,
> >> I was configuring VMWare on Fedora 8 x86_64
> >> but when i create a virtual machine then it gives me a error that
your
> cpu
> >> is not a x86_64 arch.
> >> i tried to check it in /proc/cpuinfo file
> >> but nothing found
> >> can any one tell me how i check my processor arch or cpu arch.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates ("Algorithmics"). If received in error, use is prohibited. Please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to writing and signed by an authorized signatory.