virtualization & memory usage

Hi,

I'm using RHEL 5 and have virtualized several machines, running either Linux or Windows In either case, I set up the virtual machines to start with 500 MB of RAM and expand to 2GB max. However, when I'm running the virtual OSes, they only see 500 MB.

How do they expand to 2GB if they can only see 500 MB? Does xen allocation them more memory on the fly?

Ryan