physical network port matchup to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*

I have an HP proliant with two ethernet ports plus a pci
card with an additional two ethernet ports.
Is there a way to tell when you do an
# ifconfig -a

or when you check the files in

# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

which ifcfg-eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3 file
corresponds to what physical port on the back of the machine?
My two internal built in ports on the HP proliant are numbered
1 an 2 does this mean it will match up with eth1 and eth2?
My two ports on the pci card are not numbered.
Thank you.
Dave Martini
LLNL