physical network port matchup to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:28:14 UTC 2008

I'll usually find out what the MAC addresses of the ports are (usually from
a sticker on the case somewhere, or on the card), and then from there you
should be able to either compare and match the MAC address as listed in your
ifcfg files (via the HWADDR variable), or, if the ifcfg files don't have it,
you can look at the output of dmesg to determine which interfaces are going
with which MACs as well.

Hope that helps as a way to throw a couple options out there!

Chet

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Dave Martini <martini1 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> I have an HP proliant with two ethernet ports plus a pci
> card with an additional two ethernet ports.
> Is there a way to tell when you do an
> # ifconfig -a
>
> or when you check the files in
>
> # /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>
> which ifcfg-eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3 file
> corresponds to what physical port on the back of the machine?
> My two internal built in ports on the HP proliant are numbered
> 1 an 2 does this mean it will match up with eth1 and eth2?
> My two ports on the pci card are not numbered.
> Thank you.
> Dave Martini
> LLNL

chet nichols III