Iptables shapping

katsumi liquer katsumi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:10:05 UTC 2008

This is partially true -- at least with HP DL servers, and I imagine
with others, when CPU and DISK loads reach high enough levels, it will
adjust the fans and such accordingly to compensate for the extra heat
generated. CPU will draw more power at high load, and hence generate
more heat, as will a hard disk under heavy activity.However, under
normal circumstances this should all be within the tolerances for that
box. In your case it sounds like bad ventilation or maybe fan failure,
because traffic shaping should be pretty much entirely a CPU/NIC/IO
affair and an easy-going one at that.

katsu