RHCE certification

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:55:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Troy <troya at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Here's a story from the class I took, RH300. One of the exercises was to
> grow a filesystem that had a couple files in it already. I couldn't remember
> the exact syntax right away, so I tar'd everything up, created a new
> filesystem, and moved everything back. As we were all talking about the
> test, I mentioned that I froze on that part and just hacked around it with
> tar. One of the guys, who also passed the test, asked me what tar was.
>

> On Aug 22, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Paul Whitney wrote:
>
>  Well they may not be all that, but it does have a lot more rigor than
>> say an MCSE. I thought the RHCE exam was pretty tough because of the
>> written and practicals portion. I have actually considered it just
>> because of the practical side would tend to be more credible than just a
>> cram jam.
>>
>> I am not a sysadmin and do not do this stuff everyday, but would still
>> like the cred just because I do work on it from an integration
>> perspective.
>>
>> P.
>>
>> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 07:59 -0700, Troy wrote:
>>
>>> Any manager that doesn't know the difference between a good sysadmin
>>> and one with a bunch of certificates, is a manager you don't want to
>>> work for.
>>>
>>> Having said that, if they're paying for it, you might as well take it.
>>> My manager wanted me to take it, and it was the most ridiculous thing
>>> I've ever seen. Now, anyone who boasts about the fact that they are
>>> RHCE certified, gets put into a very special category in my book.

>>>  --
>>
>> Paul M. Whitney, VCP
>> Sr. Systems Engineer
>> Worldwide Information Network Systems (WINS)
>> Office: 301.306.6115
>> Mobile: 410.493.9448
>> Email: whitneyp at winsnetworks.com
>> Pager: 1051178 at skytel.com
>>
>> --

If the newly minted RHCE didn't know what "tar" was, there are several
possibilities.
(1) the backup/restore portions of the RH classes were not covered properly
(2) the RHCE didn't freeze like you and did it using the methods covered in
class.

With the practical portions of both the RHCT and the RHCE, the newly minted
RHCE was NOT a paper RHCE.

Did you failed the RHCE certs?