RHCE certification

Stephen Carville stephen.carville at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 15:41:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 22 August 2008 4:44 am, Johan Booysen wrote:
> My employer wants me to look into gaining the RHCE certification.
>

> I've previously looked at the training manual by Michael Yang
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-Engineer-Linux-Study-Guide/dp/0072264
> 543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219405201&sr=8-1) and it seems to be
> a good choice, but I'm wondering if anyone who has done RHCE could give
> me their opinion on it and the certification process in general.

Cannot comment on the book.

I recommend the online tests to find any weaknesses in your Redhat specific
knowledge.  They are in my experience and by all accounts I've heard pretty
good guide lines as to where to start.

The exam is not hard but it requires working quickly with little opportunity
to test or backup and try again.  If you can avoid it, do not try a two hour
drive thru rush hour traffic the day of the exam like I did.  Here in
Southern CA, the training centers all seem to have or know of deals with the
local hotels for reduced rates if you're in a class.  If centers in your area
have similar offers take advantage of one if you can.  If I'd known about it
at the time I would have paid the extra for a hotel room.

The training material actually make a pretty good reference for some things
too.

--
Stephen