RHCE certification

Kevin Krieser k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 20:47:54 UTC 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Stephen Carville wrote:

> On Friday 22 August 2008 5:48 am, Johan Booysen wrote:
>> Yep they will be paying.  I see what you mean and of course it's
>> true in
>> terms of having a piece of paper as opposed to actually being able
>> to do
>> this or that.
>>
>> Having said that, people over here also like the idea of things being
>> quantifiable, including certifications and suchlike.  So they're
>> investing in staff training, which I think is great.
>
> Something that often gets overlooked in these discussions is that
> certain
> contractors insist on certain certifications.  This is especially
> true of the
> US government.   Several years ago I was competing with at least two
> Solaris
> admins I knew were better qualified than me at that time.  Despite
> that, I
> was chosen because I have a BS degree in Telecommunications and the
> other two
> guys didn't have any degrees.  The contract required so many
> Bachelor degrees
> so many Masters degrees and a couple three Phd's had to be on the
> project.
>
> Go figger...
>
> It's not just for governments either.  Several times in my career
> I've had to
> sign a release so my employer could attach evidence of my
> "qualifications" to
> a bid.  It may sound silly -- it does to me -- but that RHCE may
> someday make
> the difference between your employer getting a contract or not.

I may have to get an additional certification for work in the next
year, but haven't really researched which one yet.  Top 2 options
mentioned (due to my Linux experience) are RHCE or Linux+.  Either one
will probably suffice for my credentials.  MSCE was mentioned, but I
figure that that would be better for the coworker who has to work with
Windows.