DataProtector service not auto-started after server reboot

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Mon Dec 15 15:04:00 UTC 2008

You mentioned that the 2 servers with the problem were "hardened".  Was
SELinux enabled on them?  Also, I'd check your log files to see what (if
any) messages you're getting during boot.

Also, when you say that the "omni process" is listening on TCP:5555, do
you mean that you actually see an "omni" process in the ps output, or
you see that there is something listening on tcp port 5555 in the
netstat -a output?

I'd also check your /etc/services file to make sure those are the same
on all the systems as well as your sysctl settings.

And just out of paranoia, check the /etc/security/ files to make sure
those are the same on all the servers as well.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman at fmr.com

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of sunhux G
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 9:50 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: DataProtector service not auto-started after server reboot

Hi

I have 5 Redhat 4.6  RHES servers which I've installed HP
dataprotector in exactly the same manner.

For 3 of them, each time after reboot the Dataprotector
"omni" process would listen on Tcp 5555 (netstat -a
confirms this)

However for 2 of them, DP "omni" is not auto-started up
after each reboot & I have to issue "service xinetd restart"
to start it up.

Can see that in all 5 servers,  /etc/xinetd.d/omni is present
& the contents are the same.

I've also created a startup script in /etc/rc3.d/S99startomni
& in /etc/rc5.d/S99startomni   which contain just one line :
service xinetd restart
but still after each reboot, it won't start up the omni service

What's wrong?  The 2 servers with problem was hardened
by an external vendor so not exactly sure what's been done

Thanks
Roger