VMWare

katsumi liquer katsumi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 00:32:55 UTC 2008

Mark, re: bare metal; what they mean by that these days is just that
you install ESX as the root/core/main/host operating system for that
machine, wether it be virtual or physical. It's a very confusing term
because especially in the context of virtualization people tend to
think it implies physical (bare) hardware, but what it really seems to
mean is just that the product doesn't co-exist with an existing OS the
way that VMware Server does, rather it needs to be booted itself
directly on the 'machine'.

re: ESX & $$$ In general the way it works is that the core enterprise
VM server component, ie: the ESX kernel is available in a particular
flavor for free, and they call that flavor ESX 3i. It's free, but it
has a slightly different capability to matrix and makeup to the
tradition ESX 3.x server. For one thing it does not have a complete
userspace setup any more, and by default you can't  really even access
a shell, altho it does have busybox hidden.

the reality of the situation is that ESX is an extremely solid and
robust product, and in either form you will not be disappointed by
either the capacity it is able to suck from even a mild server
platform, but also that the stability and management are very
straight-forward and unified  , at least to the degree that vmware is
the sole vendor of ESX kernel environments, and the support
implications that entails.

i support xen and esx, you don't need to look any farther than Amazon
EC2 for proof that xen is an intense and capable vm kernel, but i can
only speak for esx in terms of being dependable for years on end in
production, and enabling us to do fairly complex vlan/vswitch and
storage configurations and in %99 of the time, taking most if it
without missing a beat.

katsu