fence_apc & APC AP7941

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Tue Dec 2 00:42:37 UTC 2008

I'm running RHEL 5 on a few machiens trying to implement clustering.
I'm at the part of getting fencing to work.  I have fencing working with
my Brocade Fibre switches and now I'm setting up fencing with my APC
AP7941 PDUs.

I suspect there is a bug in the fence_apc code for my specific AOS & APP
version:

Network Management Card AOS: v3.5.6
Rack PDU APP: v3.5.5

fence_apc shows a version of 2.0.84 with a builddate of Tue Sep 9
16:28:58 EDT 2008

I've attached the log file generate by fence_apc below.

It seems like this specific version of the AOS & APP isn't supported.
What is happening is the script successfully logs into the PDU, then
issues the command "1" correctly.  It then determines the FIRMWARE_REV
(as v3) then issues two commands at once "2" followed by "3".  Using the
other firmware option, it only submits one command "3".  Because of this
on its next step of submitting the outlet number, it thinks its at a
different position than it really is (because it hasn't parsed all the
output of executing both commands) at the same time.  It then gets
caught in an endless loop of trying to execute a command.

I can see this in the function do_power_switch in fence_apc.  I've
googled around and haven't seen any information related to this, so I
think I found a bug.

Is anyone else using fence_apc with this specific PDU?  I have fencing
working with the fibre switches, but not sure if I need a backup fencing
  device.

(I know I'm starting to ramble but its really clear in my head, I swear)

Ryan

Telnetting to apc switch cicpdu2
Mon Dec  1 19:20:25 2008
socket open to cicpdu2

User Name : Sending login: apc
apc
Password  : Sending password: apc
***

American Power Conversion               Network Management Card AOS
  v3.5.6
(c) Copyright 2007 All Rights Reserved  Rack PDU APP
  v3.5.5
Name      : cicpdu2                                   Date : 01/27/2001
Contact   : Unknown                                   Time : 11:08:18
Location  : Unknown                                   User : Administrator
Up Time   : 22 Days 0 Hours 21 Minutes                Stat : P+ N+ A+

Switched Rack PDU: Communication Established

------- Control Console

      1- Device Manager
      2- Network
      3- System
      4- Logout

      <ESC>- Main Menu, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
 > 1

------- Device Manager

      1- Bank Management
      2- Outlet Management
      3- Power Supply Status

      <ESC>- Back, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
 > 2

------- Outlet Management

      1- Outlet Control/Configuration
      2- Outlet Restriction

      <ESC>- Back, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
 > 1

------- Outlet Control/Configuration

      1- Outlet 1                 ON
      2- Outlet 2                 ON
      3- Outlet 3                 ON
      4- Outlet 4                 ON
      5- Outlet 5                 ON
      6- Outlet 6                 ON
      7- Outlet 7                 ON
      8- Outlet 8                 ON
      9- Outlet 9                 ON
     10- Outlet 10                ON
     11- Outlet 11                ON
     12- Outlet 12                ON
     13- Outlet 13                ON
     14- Outlet 14                ON
     15- Outlet 15                ON
     16- Outlet 16                ON
     17- Outlet 17                ON
     18- Outlet 18                ON
     19- Outlet 19                ON
     20- Outlet 20                ON
     21- Outlet 21                ON
     22- Outlet 22                ON
     23- Outlet 23                ON
     24- Outlet 24                ON
     25- Master Control/Configuration

      <ESC>- Back, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log