RHEL 5.1: using RHN with YUM

Rajiv Baxi rajiv.baxi at netzero.net
Wed Dec 3 21:43:16 UTC 2008

I am currently running RHEL version 5.1 x64. I originally skipped entering the installation ID during installation and skipped activation at that point (thinking that we would never have a use for it). Recently it had been brought to my attention that updates were needed. I ran rhn_register. It appeared that it had worked successfully. Now what I would like to do is, configure YUM to use RHN as a download source. Is it possible to do so? If so, how?

I've done a little research on this and I've found that I may have to install the yum+rhnplugin. Is that correct? Anyone have a guide as to how to configure this?

Many thanks,

Rajiv Baxi