VMWare

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 21:21:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:06:17 -0800, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:

> Eric Feldhusen wrote:
>> On Dec 24, 2008, at 2:29 PM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
>>> That may be the case, but I'm *jobhunting*, and what everyone (>90%)
>>> want is VMware.
>>>
>> If you're job hunting, more often than not, companies are looking for
>> ESX experience. I'd recommend registering for the free ESXi and getting
>> experience with that.
>
> Um, I'm not going to afford going out and buying a brand new system, or
> even a
> new hard drive. I'm installing this on my existing system. I mean, come
> on,
> what would you do?
>
> I don't think they're going to worry about whether I installed bare
> metal, or
> hosted, just that I'm familiar with VMware and VMs. Once it's up and
> running,
> there shouldn't be *that* much difference (other than me not having a
> SAN or
> some such).
>
> 	mark

I would install ESX (which ESXi is a free download). Why? Because that's the market demand. They won't say "have you installed vmware". They will ask if you have experience with VI or ESX.

There is a MAJOR difference between hosted vmware products and enterprise versions (ie esx / virtual infrastructure).

--
Ben Kevan
I say never be complete.  I say stop being perfect.  I say let's evolve.  Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club