how to turn rsh on?

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri Feb 15 17:40:38 UTC 2008

Paula,

>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:19:32 -0800
>From: "Paula J. Lindsay" <paula at scripps.edu>
>
>Hi everyone, I have a user running rhw4.  He needs for me to open up rsh
>for him.  I looked in services and I
>see to use kerberos rsh, you can open up kshell, but I don't use
>kerberos.  I was sure you could open it up
<snip>
rsh is not a good idea - it's very insecure. Everyone is migrating to ssh. If your user needs to go from one system to another without a password - say, a shell script or cron job, they can generate a key pair (public & private) with the openssl software, and put the public key on the server(s) they needs to get to, and the private on their home machine.

      mark