How to extend Filesystem to new disk using LVM?

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at tru.ca
Wed Feb 13 19:48:11 UTC 2008

Manjiri,I tried emailing you directly, but couldn't  At any rate, try this, if there is a problem email me directly.

 make sure /var exists if you do a df (start the server in run level 3)
it looks like /var is not coming up.  if it isn't it wont show in df.  if it is coming up,

do a cd /var and see what it looks like.

you may have done a rsync -av /var  /newv instead of rsync -av /var/ newvar  that trailing slash is very important.  If you forgot the trailing slash, then there will be a subdirectory in /var called var.

if the /var directory only has one subdirectroy called var, then reboot back into single user mode go into the /var/var directory, and do a:
mv * ..

then reboot back to normal runtime.

Wayner

>>> "Patil, Manjiri S" <mpatil at bu.edu> 13/02/2008 11:18 am >>>

Thanks for the quick reply Wayne. I followed all the steps with no
errors, after rebooting while starting X11 I am getting following error.

"Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthdir) is set tp /var/gdm
but this does not exist. Please correct GDM configuration
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and restart gdm."

Thanks
Manz